Wednesday, November 11, 2009

We are so lucky

****Edited

I've written here numerous times about our friends, Dylan and Tyler, and their baby brother Colin. We are so lucky to have them in our lives. The boys have been "friends" since their very first days, side by side in the NICU.

We've weathered those first cold and flu seasons when terror struck every time someone had a sniffle. We've had to cancel many a play date, so we didn't infect each other. (The best friend a preemie mom can have is another preemie mom, we totally understand and are not offended by canceled plans. We'd all rather be safe than sorry!)

The boys ALWAYS have fun playing together, and Lindsay and I ALWAYS (although more so now days) enjoy chatting.

I can NEVER be in the presence of these four and now five boys without laughing, and smiling the day away. I can NEVER be in the presence of these children without marveling at how LUCKY we all are. Five babies that had such difficult starts, starts that defied the odds. Five boys who are walking (okay four), talking, BREATHING examples of LIFE.

ARUGH. I LOVE these kids!!!!!!



Dylan mugging for the camera.


Evan, Ryan and Tyler working on a co-op masterpiece.

Seriously, how can you not love these kids. How cute are they????


Being around these little miracles reminds me, brings into focus, clarifies, just how lucky we are.
And it also gives me hope and perspective when I hear from a friend in Ireland of his struggles with his newborn daughter.

Aoibheann is a term baby, born with some respiratory distress. She spent the first seven days in the NICU. John described some of the things they were going through, the oxygen, the tests, the inability to hold their baby, and snap, there I was back in the NICU. Immersed in the sights and sounds like it was yesterday. Feeling so many emotions and worry for my friend and his family. The NICU is a full sensory memory. You smell it, feel it, hear it, see it, just by closing your eyes. Those of us that have had extended stays will never be fully rid of that ability to remember.

I was overjoyed that Aoibheann and her family only had to spend seven days in hell, and when John posted that he was laying the couch with Aoibheann on his chest, I remembered that moment too. That peace, the contented feeling, the overwhelming joy. sigh.

Aoibheann was only at home for eleven days, she is now back in the hospital. They believe it is RSV. I've talked ad nauseam about the dangers of RSV to preemies, and how frightened we were when the boys were little that they would contract this common virus which can be fatal in children with respiratory issues. Needless to say, I am terrified for them.

Thank goodness they listened to their parental instincts and took her to the ER, even though her pediatrician said she would be fine. Thank goodness she seems to be improving. But they are on that roller coaster that we rode for five months. Weaning oxygen, increasing oxygen, doing better, doing worse, going home soon, staying longer. My heart is with them, I feel helpless for them, and I know how helpless they feel for their daughter.

I know how lucky we are...I hope beyond words that they will be too.

*******Aoibheann is home with her Mom, Dad and Sister.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

'With tears streaming' - I hope you know how much we love you all... and how lucky I feel to have such a wonderful friendship that came out of such painful memories.