Wednesday, November 25, 2009

An abundance of riches.

One of the great things about living in San Diego is over abundance of things to do and the wonderful weather in which to do it all in.

It was 82 freaking degrees today, and we went to the Wild Animal Park. Yesterday we went to Sea World, it was just as warm.

As we were riding on the tram at the Wild Animal Park today, and I was listening to the excited "tourists" behind me, I began thinking about how lucky our kids are. They will grow up with amazing things like the Zoo and Sea World as their backyards. In a typical week, we will hit up at least one of these amazing attractions that people come to San Diego for. We can go to the Zoo, or Wild Animal Park, or Sea World for the morning, or after naps. How cool is it that?

Or will it make them spoiled?

I sat on the tram for the hundredth time, wondering if my kids will actually appreciate the abundance of entertainment here. Can they truly appreciate the lion sitting just feet from them, or one of the handful of Southern Black Rhinos basking in the sun off to the left? Will our frequent visits enhance their knowledge, or desensitize them?

I suppose that once they are in school full time, these trips will be much less frequent, and then become more special. So maybe I should just shut up and enjoy it while we can!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

As someone who grew up going to these very same attractions every week - I can tell you that yes, some day they too will appreciate this wonderful life you are creating for them. I still feel fortunate that these amazing places were a huge part of my growing up - so much so that I LOVE sharing them with my children.