Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Why are some people such jerks?

Today I took Evan to see his Acupuncturist/Kinesiologist. After, Ryan and Evan and I sat down to eat lunch at the deli in the office complex. We were right outside the door on the patio and everything was going well until...wait for it...yep, you guessed it, Evan threw up. shock right?

It was pretty bad. Most of it got in the tray, but I still had to strip him down and pull out the change of clothes I ALWAYS have in my purse. I grabbed Evan, the tray and walked into the deli. I asked the man standing at the counter if he could rinse the tray off for me. His response?

"No, I can't. There is a bathroom around the corner."
I tried to explain, "but I have another child, I cannot just leave him sitting there."
"No, you can either use the bathroom, or take it home like that."

Wow, such compassion, such caring for your fellow man, such kindness.

I walked out, flustered, shaking a little with anger, muttering "What am I supposed to do now?"

Then it happened, Evan kicked the tray right out of my hands, and all of his technicolor vomit flew across the patio.

It was at that moment I knew I just had to give up trying to clean up (for now), so I sat Evan down, straddled the vomit, and finished feeding what was left of his food.

It was while I was scraping the last few drops of food out desperately trying to get a couple more calories into Evan, that I heard it.

That MAN, talking smack about me to a customer. I heard "Oh, that lady, her baby made a mess and she got mad and threw the tray on the floor just like that."

OH. NO. You did NOT just say that? I could not take that sitting with feet on either side of a puddle of puke down. I got up. Stood in the doorway and said...

"EXCUSE ME??? Oh no, how dare you. For your information, my child accidentally kicked the tray out of my hand, and NONE of this mess would have been here had YOU simply rinsed off the tray like I asked you. What is it that you wanted me to do? Go to the bathroom and leave my other baby just sitting here alone?"

I turned on my heel and proceeded to finish feeding my babies, as slowly as possible. Letting the vomit sit there, and sit there, hoping the smell was wafting into his eating establishment, wishing Evan had kicked that tray out of my hand while inside the deli, so instead of calling building maintenance, that man, would have had to clean up the mess himself.

I was still shaking with anger most of the way home. I'm better now. However, If any of you have occasion to be in the office buildings on La Jolla Village Drive, behind the Rock Bottom Brewery, don't frequent the deli on the second floor, and if you do, vomit on the floor please.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

That's just horrible. To bad Evan didn't kick the tray at him! I hate how people are so unsympathetic to moms - and mom's of twins especially.

Anonymous said...

Good for you for saying something! If I had been there, I'd have scoffed at that man, too! Good thing for the innate mama bear instincts.