Friday, May 2, 2008

Team Takade

The first few weeks we were in the NICU, we had a variety of nurses, day and night. A couple of those nurses we had multiple times. The nursing staff works 4 of 7 days (12 hour shifts) and typically they have the same assignment for the days they are on. Our NICU supports Primary Care Nursing, which provides continuity of care. These babies are so sick, and the signs that they are getting sicker are so subtle, it is imperative that the people caring for your baby (ies), really know them. Until now, (two years ago) we were subject to the luck of the draw, until we asked and finalized our "Team". Little did I know that two years later this "Team" would still be a huge part of our lives.

We chose 3 primary care day nurses and 2 night nurses. Looking back making those choices made all the difference in the world. These five women saved the lives of our babies more times than they could have counted. Our boys turned shades of purple and black more vibrant than any of these women could have imagined. Our boys responded to them in ways I only realized when they were all on vacation and we had 'other' nurses.

Our team consisted of very experienced NICU nurses. Very active nurses in the NICU. Very strong nurses. (They'd have to be to endure 5 months with us!)

I think we were drawn to each of them instinctively. Each one very different, very opinionated, very smart, very open to having parents present, very willing to teach those involved parents to do as much care as possible. Each one brave and fierce in their care of babies.

I look back and think of how each of our nurses touched (and continue to touch) our lives.

Cindy: Encouraged holding Ryan for the first time, even though many thought he wouldn't tolerate it. Always encouraged us to hold the boys, even when we weren't sure either. Our first bath was with Cindy. Cindy was never afraid to do anything. "let's see how long he'll last on just blow by" (Where the oxygen mask sits near the baby's face with out pressure or a direct tube in to the nostrils or lungs) We'd talk sports and reality TV to pass the endless hours.

Julie: Always made me laugh with a funny card from the boys, or a sign reminding me to take a break. Julie called the boys her boyfriends, and had affectionate nicknames for them like booger and trouble. She always diffused a tense situation with humor, kept me laughing even when my baby was blue. Coined my favorite phrase, I still use today "When Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy". We'd talk TV, celebrity hook-ups and break-ups.

Peggy: The most motherly of the bunch. She would always make sure I took care of myself, she'd bring me fresh veggies from her garden, zucchini bread, and even the occasional lunch. She really tried to make breastfeeding work for us. She was the first one to be brave enough to let us hold Evan for the first time, and she pushed for Co-bedding before even though no one thought they were ready. She switched shifts and came in extra early, just to be there with Evan for his first Eye surgery. She got him extubated very soon after that surgery. We'd talk parenting philosophy, Emma and Luke and our go home plan. (even when it seemed like we'd never make it home)

Virginia: Took such good care of our boys at night. She made sure we were informed on the nights events. Kept Scott company during his evening visits. I think Virginia was around for a few of the self-extubating episodes. The boys liked to keep her on her toes.

Kerri: Traveler, whom I did not get to know well. She too took great care of the boys at night. They always seemed to have good nights with Kerri. But sadly Kerri was gone before we were.

All of these women were advocates for our boys, they went tooth to tooth with the Doctors over care. They were the ones with them from day one, (give or take) until we left five months later. They pushed to try things when it could do no harm. They saved their lives EVERY DAY. (so did a lot of other nurses, I joked that everyone in the place had saved the boys lives at least once, and I really wasn't that far off) They explained what was going on when we felt in the dark. They educated us, comforted us, they pushed us to rest, take time away from the NICU. (not that we listened) They were the ones that I trusted above all others with my precious babies. It was always easier for me to leave when one of our primaries was on duty. I always rested a little easier (and so did the boys) with them. They never let us down. They put up with our constant presence. Our need to be bedside all day and half the night. At the end, they put up with my crazies. My insane need to get those boys home, control which nurses took care of them day and night, my need to never come back to the NICU again.

I love all of these women. Today I still think about them ALL. THE. TIME. I think about how fortunate that they are in our lives. I love that they all still know the boys. If I have anything to say about it, they will always know what is happening with Ryan and Evan. After all, they are some of the most important people ever to cross paths with our boys. When they have triumphs, they are the triumphs of Team Takade.

I know I've said "Thank You", and those words still seem so feeble. How do you thank the people that kept your children ALIVE? I doubt there will be a time that I look at my boys and not think about all of the people that touched them, kept them safe, kept them in this world with us. I know I will never forget these five very special women of "Team Takade".

With out these women...none of us would have come out the other side of our NICU nightmare.

No comments: