Thursday, May 15, 2008

Let us Entertain You. Embrace the Mess.

Today we were supposed to meet some twin mom's at the botanical gardens. It opens at 9. That means we have to leave the house by 8:15 to arrive, unload, sunscreen, shoe, etc. two boys.

These days it's like trying to dress a giant octopus, (times two) getting the boys into clothes. For some reason, being "nay, nay" is only the way to be. We wrestle, kick, cry and scream "nay, nay". And generally speaking, there is another child running around in a state of undress, chiming in with their own chorus of "nay, nay". I actually find this kind of funny, I don't know why, maybe because it is so cute.

Oh, yes, back on topic. So. I told the boys that we were going to the gardens today, and we must wear clothes to the garden. Ryan slowed down enough for me to tackle him to the ground. While I was changing his diaper, he looks up at me and does the sign for train, and says "choo, choo". It's been at least a month or six weeks since our last visit to the gardens, can you believe that he still remembers there is a train at the gardens????

When we arrived Evan looked around from the parking lot and said "bubbles" Yes, we usually blow bubbles at the gardens.

I am constantly amazed, AMAZED, by what these kids know, understand and remember. They make me laugh, gasp, and shake my head EVERY DAY. Who knew kids would be so entertaining?

________________

While we were at the gardens I couldn't help notice differences in parenting styles. Because I'm like that.

This one mom, with two boys of her own, arrived and asked if anyone knew where the bug day was being held. She said, "I don't usually come on Bug Day, I come on Art day, because I don't like all that art stuff in my house, it's too messy" Then, later she made her son's don plastic aprons to play in the water, so they wouldn't get wet. She then wouldn't let them play in the dirt because they were already wet, and wet and dirt was too dirty. I had a really hard time biting my tongue.

I embrace the mess my little boys make. I relish the fact that they are experiencing their environment to the fullest. After listening to her for a few minutes. I looked down at my pair of ragamuffins, and had to laugh out loud. They were wet from head to toe. Dirt/mud rimmed their shorts' bottoms and bottoms. Their hair was stringy and wet, could have been mud there too. There was most definitely dirt on their faces, along with grins ear to ear.

Motherhood, or maybe toddlerhood has just found me a less fussy (stop laughing, really I am less fussy. somethings like their health, well, I'm still Fussy McFusserson, but other stuff, dirt, paint, water, mud, trust me, I'm a new person) I just come prepared for these situations, knowing kids get dirty. If you want to take home clean (or I'll settle for dry) kids, bring a change of clothing! (I also keep a stash of bags in the car for transporting the mud caked clothes home.) I also find it really funny that I embrace the mess so easily with the boys. Considering my own hang ups about being clean, (I'll save the details for another post) the fact that I'll let the boys get as dirty as dirty can be is a real step for me!

No comments: