Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Can't stop laughing

I got out the easel today so we could draw. Today's medium of choice, crayons.

After a little while, I started drawing shapes and labeling them. You know, Circle, Square, Triangle. (and of course star) I then moved on to the boys' names. Showing them the letters. Not that I'm drilling them, trying to teach them all of these things at two, but I think it is easy to incorporate this learning into their play, the more times they see and hear something, the easier it is going to be when they go and try to really learn it. I then moved on to numbers. An area where both boys have started to pick up the patterns of the order of numbers. We do a lot of counting to three when we jump off of things, we count bites of food for Evan, again incorporating learning into everyday activities.

So, I start off with One, I show them the number, I spell it out. I ask what comes next? Ryan and Evan reply in unison, Tuuuw. Great, good job boys. What comes next?

In all his comic timing, Evan shouts. "MOMMA"

When we are jumping on the sofa, or doing something else we aren't supposed to do. As many parents do, we count to three and if by three, there is still non-compliance, our behavior is modified, by being removed from the sofa, or whatever we were banging on the table is taken from us, etc.

So I guess in the mind of a two year old. After one comes two, and after two, watch out cause here comes Momma!


_______
BTW: The speech therapist came out yesterday, and she was VERY pleased with where the boys are. I guess all that time we spent worrying about our lack of words was for naught. Whew.