Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Three years ago

Celebrating the boys birthday is always a challenge. I love a party, and I have to admit it isn't a day or two after Christmas and I'm already trying to figure out what our theme will be for our April birthday party. I can't help it, I'm a planner.

But, in all of my planning frenzy, I STILL can't help think, "three years ago I was..." and fill in the blanks. The first year was the hardest. They were still so medically fragile. The second year was tough too because well, they were two! This year, well this year was easier I have to admit, however I still find myself struggling with the memories. They are still so tangible, so clear, still. so. painful. Raw, not so much.

I look at my beautiful, perfect little men, and I marvel at how far they have come. Yet I can't help but think of them like this...
Its hard to believe that they have become this:






All of the planning, and baking, and stuff...ends up being worth it. They enjoyed their day, just running around EVERYWHERE. Being the centers of attention. I enjoyed their pure happiness, and not once during the day did I think, "three years ago..."


(and yes, I did a horrible job documenting their birthday party...and I only have about 5 pictures)

3 comments:

Mommy Darnell said...

happy birthday to them! It looks like you have done a great job the last 3 years.

Lindsay said...

I know how that goes :D I think it's really hard to let go of all we knew - but your boys are absolutely amazing... no one who didn't know they were preemies would ever guess. You've done a great job Momma - give yourself some credit that three years ago... you became a wonderful mother and did everything, and more, you could.

Hugs.

Jen said...

Happy birthday, Evan and Ryan! What a long, long way you've come :)