Thursday, January 24, 2008

My children are not dogs

I've been adamant about not using those leash things that people use on their children. It offends me, it always has. Even before children I'd think, just hold that kid's hand! Then I had twins, some of my twin mom friends have thought about them, even bought them. It's a good thing they have not used them in front of me, I'm not sure I could keep that look off my face.
I'm really working hard to teach the boys how to hold my hand, stay with me, listen, and this is key, freeze when I say freeze (Evan actually does freeze about 90% of the time, Ryan, totally different story!), so we can go out and do things and they won't have to be confined in the stroller all the time. Now granted, leashes would make things easier. Heck walking your dog is a lot easier and safer on a leash, but MY CHILDREN ARE NOT DOGS!!!!

I've been getting braver with our adventures, and after yesterday's spectacular performance I was feeling a little cocky today. After naps today I realized we needed bread for Ryan's toast in the morning and so I thought a little afternoon outing would be a great thing to do. We had been to the mall in the morning and I got some great deals on some clothes for the darlings, (Macy's of ALL places!!!) and although well behaved, it was kind of boring for the guys. I decided to head to 4S Ranch and go to the library! My boys LOVE books, and we haven't been in this branch I thought it would be fun to go in and see what it was like. (And the store is right across the parking lot)

Great idea, really poor execution. I did not take a stroller in with us, we parked right in front and it's good practice for them to get out and walk when we can, and I think the situation is controlled enough. This is something for 4 arms, and something for the summer when I'm not worried about RSV, Colds and Flus. First off, Ryan wanted to take every book off the shelves, sit in the middle of the floor and look at one or two pages have me read one or two pages and then move on to the next one, all the while Evan was content to sit with one book, trying to rip the protective cover off and eat it. Maybe they LOVE books a bit TOO MUCH. We lasted about 10 minutes. Maybe next time we can take Daddy with us.

Ah, yes, on to the bread. The boys did really well with the listening part, time to go, hold my hand etc. so, I debated, walk to the store from our library parking spot? The three of us hand in hand took 3 steps toward the store and then I came to my senses. Sure we could make it there, but back? Fat chance.

I did let them walk across the parking lot and into the store. Oh My Gosh! A grocery store trip without containment??? What was I thinking. It actually went really well. I picked up some Mac and Cheese for Ryan at the deli, (he likes this stuff they make at Jimbos, so whatever works I'll feed him) and grabbed a loaf of bread. I let Ryan help carry the bread to the check out. The part I hadn't quite worked through in my mind. How do I hold two babies hands, get out my credit card and sign the slip, without someone getting loose in a huge grocery store. We made it through by me smashing them up against the counter while I grabbed my card. The nice checker slid my card for me and held the receipt while I held two wigglers between my legs, my glutes got a great work out BTW. It was really a success, Evan carried the Mac and Cheese and Ryan carried his bread and we all walked off to the car together hand in hand. I would have taken a picture of the scene, because it was very cute, if only I could have figured out how to also get my camera out while holding both boys hands.

3 comments:

Shelley said...

Ok, first of all....what's up with the Mac 'n' cheese? Last time I checked, that did NOT fall under the category of crunchy!!! Has my sweet darling nephew Ryan decided to enter into the world of other textures? No way!!! Second of all, you are now officially the Goddess of Motherhood (and patience)since I would not have atttempted the impossible (i.e. bookstore, two toddlers, parking lot, two toddlers, grocery store, two toddlers, etc). And not only did you attempt it, you succeeded. Congratulations :) You have passed the test and are now ready to move onto the next phase...whatever that is. Let me know how it is and what's in store for me!Heeheehee

The Amazing Trips said...

I have triplets and I have a dog. One thing that I have learned is that when they are tethered to me, they are safer then when they are free. And I, in turn, am much more relaxed.

Up until very recently, when I would take our children to the store (by myself), I would put them in harnesses. I received many a fair share of stares and unfavorable comments from people about treating my kids like dogs and walking them on "leashes" but the fact is: you have to do what you feel is right for your family.

My kids listen. But at three years old, they are still small children and although they understand "freeze!" and "stop!" they don't always pay attention.

I would much prefer to have the stares and comments about my method of containment and control, then the stares and comments because my children took off running and either broke something - or were injured - because I couldn't chase three kids at once (while also holding my infant).

So, every one has to figure out what works for them and (hopefully) not be dissuaded by criticism.

Janice said...

Jen-
I meant no disrespect, and I should have added that I totally understand that every family has to make their own decision! I honestly don't know how you do it with 3 and and infant! I would totally reconsider my stance on the issue. In fact there is still the chance that I will have to reconsider, we are only just starting to learn how to walk with Mommy and to listen! Thanks for reminding me that I should be more respectful to other families decisions!
Janice