Friday, May 8, 2009

Thank goodness for Little Boys

I've always tried to balance allowing the boys to grow and explore, to be independent, to be as self sufficient as a three year old can be.

Ryan and Evan have been climbing in and out of the car by for a while now, and they've become quite competent. I constantly remind them to put their things down before they start climbing. I strap them in, hand their stuff back to them, open the garage door and off we go.

There have been many times when I thought, hmmm, someone could fall out and really hurt themselves on the hard, concrete garage floor, maybe this isn't one of the areas they should be independent. They would then successfully scurry into their seats and we'd be off.

Then it happened. The day I forgot to remind Evan to put his things down before he climbed into the car.

Crash.

Tears.

Blood.

Tears.

Bump.

Tears.

Kicking myself.

Tears.

Beating myself up.

Tears.

This is what it looked like after I cleaned up all of the blood or as Evan called it, the wrinkly stuff.


Here's how we looked as the swelling set in and the first tinges of color started appearing on our top lid.


...and here is our full blown shiner.

No comments: