Friday, May 22, 2009

Clingy McClingerson

We've been going through a tough patch...Ryan has been a bit, um, clingy. For the last couple of weeks he has not wanted me to be out of his sight. He erupts into hysterics if I close the door to use the bathroom, or run out to the garage to grab something out of the freezer, (like dinner) or to go into his room for clothes for the day. HYSTERICS. Sobbing, gut wrenching, heartbreak.

My head is going to explode.

I love my kids and I know it is only a phase, they've both been through this before, but, good god, please let go of my leg.

On the flip side of all of the exaggerated love, we had this conversation tonight as I snuggled him in bed.

Me: I love you, Ryan.
Ry: I love you, TOO!
Me: Did you have a fun day today?
Ry: No
Me: Why not? I thought you were having fun playing at school. What did you play with?
Ry: I played with cars with you mommy.
Me: Yes, yes you did. What else did you do? Did you play with some whales?
Ry: The beluga whale? and the humpback whale? and the gray whale. (lots of what he says sound like questions)
Me: Did you like playing with them?
Ry: Yes, but I could not play with them at home...(sad voice)
Me: Maybe we should look for some whales and sharks and dolphins!?!?
Ry: (sitting up in bed to look me in the eyes) We can go to SEA WORLD! they have big, big whales there, and we can bring them home and they can swim with me in the bathtub.
Me: That sounds like fun. ( but now that I think of it I sure hope he doesn't mean the real whales cause that would be a tight fit)

I cannot believe the conversations we are now having with these kids. It's shocking how fast they go from babbling, unintelligible consonants and vowels to deep thoughts and observations.

Me: Did you have fun at dance class?
Ry: Yes, but Grace wasn't there.
Me: That's right Ryan, but our other friends were there. Isabella, Olivia, Michelle.
Ry: I didn't see, Evan was so sad.
Me: Evan was sad at dance class?
Ry: Yes.

On our way to swimming, Ryan forgot his puppies, he and Evan were already in the car strapped in, I told him I would go get puppies, but that would mean he would have to be in the garage with Evan and I would be in the house for a minute while I retrieved our beloved Snoopys (Snoopi). Okay he sniffed. The door hadn't even shut behind me when I hear the woeful sobs of "Mommy Come BACK!!!!" When I got back, 30 seconds later, Ryan was crying, and Evan was telling him
"Puppy, you just have to get over this"

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

lol, out of the moouth of babes :)