Thursday, February 19, 2009

Bullies in the making

So, as part of my fundraising for the March of Dimes Walk for Babies, (by the way click on the Walk for Babies logo on the sidebar to donate) I am sitting in a kids play place here in town, sans kids. It's interesting.

As a mom, I really try to do my best to have my kids be respectful and considerate of other people.

I go out of my way to try and make play situations a learning experience. If I see my kids behaving in a manner "not acceptable" we put a stop to it immediately. If we cannot stop the behavior, we leave. Simple. (to me)

I just watched this boy of maybe 5 or 6 run headlong into another child, while driving one of those hard plastic plasma car things, knock him down, and then when the child complained, he said. "Why should I stop, I'm in a race." Turn and ride off. The other little boy, of similar age, picked himself up and went over to sit by his mom for a few minutes.

Okay, first of all, at that age, I think this boy should have been able to say "I'm sorry" with out prompting from his parents. But, second of all, where were his parents? Oh, his mom is sitting over here on the phone. The kid he hit was visibly shaken, so much that I almost got up to see if he was okay.

Well, this same kid, got knocked down and started to wail. Cried and cried, and cried. The kid he hit earlier, well, he tried to comfort this brat other boy. Where was the brat's mom this time? OUTSIDE on the PHONE. Some one went and got her, he cried for like 10 minutes, had to have ice his lip hurt so much.

I couldn't help think Karma (this makes me feel like a really bad person)

Except he is now running around this place, in between adults and children alike, without regard to anything. Pushing, shoving, taking things from other kids. Where is his mom? Oh she is sitting here saying "Nicholas" in that tone that Nicholas clearly recognizes as you don't really mean it, and I can continue to do what I want and you won't get up to stop me.

I have to go home now to my kids that are not perfect, but I know they are sweet and compassionate, loving and kind. And I intend to keep them that way, no matter what I have to do. (even if it means I have to beat up talk to a bully for them.

No comments: