Thursday, September 25, 2008

New adventures

Another mom friend of mine suggested that we try classes at a local animal shelter. I had no idea that they had classes like this for little ones. This week was horses. The boys really enjoyed themselves. They used miniature horses so the kids weren't intimidated by huge animals. They each got to pet, groom and feed a horse. We did a craft, talked about some of the things horses are used for, (did you know there are seeing eyed horses?) and had a chance to interact with the horses. All in all it was a good experience. It's a good thing since we are signed up for reptiles, dogs and farm animals in the coming weeks. Stay tuned.



We also tried out a new place that teaches little ones foreign languages. They do Chinese, French and Spanish. We signed up for a free trial class in Spanish. Let's say, not the most successful class we've ever tried.

First, it was total immersion. The teacher only spoke to them in Spanish. Which is great, I really think this is a great way to learn a language. But part of my hesitation is my boys are still acquiring language. They seemed utterly confused. I'm sure after a few weeks they'd get the hang of it, but I felt like it was wrong...I can't really explain.

I firmly believe that the boys should be exposed to foreign languages as early as possible, however when they are still asking what everything is, is it really right for me or their teacher to only tell them what it is in Spanish? I mean, really, is this the right way? In my gut I feel that we should say the word in English, and then in Spanish, and then exclusively in Spanish.

Second, the class was too long, the kids got bored, the segments within the class were too long, the kids got really restless.

Third, its really expensive. A hundred bucks a month. Times two.

I just don't feel right about it. I'm going to keep looking for the right program. This wasn't it.

No comments: