Thursday, February 28, 2008

Music to Cry By, Part II

So this is another song that I would try to sing to my babies while we were camped out in the NICU...

You Are My Sunshine
My only sunshine.
You make me happy
When skies are grey.
You'll never know, dear,
How much I love you.
Please don't take my sunshine away

The other nite, dear,
As I lay sleeping
I dreamed I held you in my arms.
When I awoke, dear,
I was mistaken
And I hung my head and cried.

You are my sunshine,
My only sunshine.
You make me happy
When skies are grey.
You'll never know, dear,
How much I love you.
Please don't take my sunshine away.

I only knew the first verse and the chorus, but it really didn't matter since I could barely choke out the last line, of the chorus, never mind getting through the first verse. I may never be able to sing this song to my boys. gulp. sniff. sigh.

I found the complete lyrics on the National Institutes of Health, Department of Health & Human Services web site. I love this site, they have lyrics to tons of Children's songs and many have audio files. I found the complete lyrics to this installment of "Music to Cry By" plus this little tidbit of lesser known information at the NIEHS.

The song was written by former Louisiana State Governor Jimmie Davis and Charles Mitchell; and is one of two official songs for the State of Louisiana.

As a public service, I thought I should include these almost never heard lyrics. (unless you are in Louisiana)
Louisiana my Louisiana
the place where I was borne.
White fields of cotton--
green fields clover,
the best fishing and long tall corn;

*Note: I'm not always this melancholy. My friend Lindsay is taking a trip down memory lane, as we get closer to her boys birthdays. It is really difficult for parents of preemies as we near those dates etched into our minds, our doctors appointments, ultrasounds, admissions to Labor and Delivery, hospital stays. All of the memories come flooding back it makes you catch your breath, pause, and sometimes cry. Most days we look at our children and marvel, revel, and the hard memories are distant. I know I will have a few difficult posts coming up soon, we are nearing that day, the day my happy pregnancy stopped, and the terror began.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Again, can't even read that song without tearing up - what are you trying to do to me ??? :P

@KayakPhilip said...

Janice,

I'd found this while checking song lyrics once, also has some (bad) examples of people singing so you get the tunes:

http://www.scoutsongs.com/categories/index.html

A moving post, again. Luckily perhaps, you might get more distracted each year with two hyper boys looking forward to their birthdays :-)

Happy Birthday E&R