Saturday, April 5, 2008

Cookies are NOT easier than going to the park.

Sometimes I think I am crazy, and then I do things like today and I know I am.

Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, Scott and I spent kayaking on the Kern River. It's been almost exactly a year since the last time I was on the river. (Almost two years for Scott.) Needless to say that much time out of a boat can make a person very sore and tired when they do finally spend four solid days getting worked hard by 4 very sweet yet sadistic coaches.
More about the kayaking later, that is not the crazy part. Because of the four days spent on the river, not doing any work on the boys party, and being sore and tired, we've laid kind of low since returning home. We ran errands, picked up some things for the party, etc. Today (Thursday) we had music class and on any other week we would have taken a long walk on the trails, or at least spent the afternoon in the yard. My lack of energy led me to lose my mind and make a few critical errors in parenting.

1. I somehow thought that making cookies would be easier than taking the boys outside.

2. I did not get my camera ready before the action began. (Therefore the pictures make it look like a calm and enjoyable activity)

3. I did not roll out the dough before I released the hounds. (Ryan and Evan)

4. Two year-olds love cutting cookies, decorating them, and waiting patiently for them to bake.

5. Cookies before dinner are always a great way to get toddlers to eat their semi-balanced meals.

Okay, picture the scene.

Two toddlers running amok all over the kitchen, me, covered to the elbows in dough and flour chasing Ryan, who insisted on dragging the rolling pin everywhere, and Evan who kept screaming "Star" while he chewed on the star cookie cutter. One child had the kitchen shears he lifted off the kitchen counter, I had no idea he could reach. While the other child tried to cut cookies out of the things in the recycling bin. We had cookie dough in our hair and on our feet. We had dough everywhere, but none to eat!

I some how managed to get one tray of 6 cookies in the oven, and another tray of 5 in line. After getting all of these delightful barely recognizable cookies cooling. I quickly wrestled to the ground placed both boys in their high chairs to add some frosting and decorations to their cookies.

Now in addition to dough and flour, there were sprinkles and nonpareils rolling all over the floor.

After we ate (Ryan and I ate, Evan just smashed and attempted to taste) our creations, I spent a good hour cleaning the floor.

Yeah, making cookies, takes FAR less energy than walking to the park and letting the boys run wild.

But, with faces sugar induced happy like this...how soon do you think we'll be doing it again?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah, I would have to agree with that. I usually have to plan my baking around naptime!

Cookies look good though and the boys are so cute!