Saturday, March 8, 2008

Dancing Fools (or Music that Makes Me Smile)

Two years ago tonight, Scott felt the boys move for the first time. They had been moving around lots and I felt them, but Scott never seemed to be able to feel them before this night. The boys would be kicking and moving around and I'd yell quick, come feel, and by the time he got over to my belly, they had settled again.

We owe this special moment to Alison Krauss and Union Station. Scott, our friend Philip and I really enjoy their music and had tickets to see them perform. (I should mention that we all have very eclectic tastes in music and our ipods house really interesting mixes of musical genres, mine is now littered with an alarmingly large collection of kids music) Anyway--Alison Krauss is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE artists. I could listen to her everyday. If you've never heard her, I highly recommend it. After all I, VERY pregnant with twins, in excruciating back pain, still went out, walked several blocks (without stopping for a nap), sat with a tennis ball between my aching back and the theater seat for two hours, just because I HAD to see her again. Mind you I had seen her just the year before in Northern California, with a then very pregnant Shelley, but I had to see her again. (and I say her and I really mean them, because each member Union Station is an amazing artist, really such a talented group of musicians)

So I'm sitting, not exactly comfortably, enjoying the concert when all of a sudden the boys become dancing fools. They began to kick and move like CRAZY. I quickly grabbed Scott's hand and placed it on my four stepping belly and he finally felt it. That really strange, freaky feeling of something alive moving inside my belly. The boys really responded to the music. When AK and US played an upbeat song, the boys danced like there was no tomorrow, and during the slower numbers, they calmed down. I had never felt them so active before and I was thrilled that Scott was finally able to feel them move.

The boys still seem to enjoy Alison Krauss and Union Station, or Alison Krauss and Robert Plant, or just Alison Krauss. (or just about any music) But every time I listen to their music, I smile with the memory of that special moment.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Just wanted to let you know I have an MP3 with Alison Krauss singing w/the gang from sesame street - if you want to add to your 'kid music' :D

Suzanne said...

That is such a cool story. I agree with you, they are such amazing musicians. I love her voice and the harmonies, dobro, and bass along with her fiddle playing are great.

With each of my boys, they heard Shania Twain and October Project so much in utero, that the music seemed to calm them when they were infants.