Tuesday, February 2, 2010

He's a normal kid.

I've been asked to speak to a group of parents who have kids with eating issues. You know, since I've been there and back. I have more than a month to think about what to say, but for some reason I'm already at a loss for words.

It's not like we came up with the "cure", it's not like anyone could replicate what we did to finally get Evan to eat. So much of me believes that it was just Evan FINALLY deciding it was time, I don't want to tell these parents that. Some of these people have it even worse than we did. I want to offer them hope.

Hope that one day their kids will say to them, "this is yummy!" or "I like this dinner" or "More please". Each time in the last few weeks that these words came out of Evan's food stuffed mouth, I've felt such elation, and such relief.

And then we have those days. Days when Evan won't eat anything. And the worry and the doubt creep back in. Uh, oh, what's wrong? Is he slipping? Are we going to have to start OT again? Sometimes I have to kick myself to remember that regular kids do that. They just don't eat, and then they suddenly eat everything in sight. I have to REMIND myself that I have to think of Evan as a regular kid.

And then he will shock me by eating twice as much as his brother, and being super adventurous. (for a kid) He tries anything. He eats slower than a snake digests a meal, but he is eating. I have to remind myself of that little fact.

I have to remember that only a few months ago, he would only eat baby food, and now he eats, or doesn't eat, what ever I am serving. Just like a normal kid. (it makes me giggle a little just to type that!)

1 comment:

@KayakPhilip said...

Nice post Janice,

But, (imo) do tell them that you think Evan just needed to decide to eat for himself. Perhaps it will make it easier to relax and run with it. To know that all of their "failure" to get their kids to eat isn't that they are trying the wrong technique, or not trying hard enough, or whatever. It just isn't going to happen until the kid wants it to.

And yes, you are totally right, all kids have non-eating days. Even our little hollow legged child has days he doesn't eat at all. And yes, it stresses us out those days too.

Very happy he is eating well now of course, and especially that he is so adventurous.