Tuesday, February 16, 2010

New Beginnings. They grow up way too fast.

I'm sitting here tonight waiting for a phone call.

My Brother and Sister-in Law are at the hospital. Mary is 41 weeks pregnant. At her doctors appointment this morning, her doctor decided it was time for this baby to come out so, at 5:15 Mary began the process of being induced.

Before I knew that this little one would be making his/her arrival in the next day or so, I was reflecting. I took the boys to the park today. A park we have been going to since they were little. We call it bulldozer park because there is a climbing structure that looks like a bulldozer. The boys love to come here. I liked it when they were little because there were two baby swings side by side, a couple of small climbing structures and a wall of things that made tones. OH, yes and the gate that spanned three sides of the park.

When they were little, my biggest struggle with parks was keeping track of both boys, I spent a lot of time just risk assessing. Who was in the most peril at the moment? Where was I needed most?

Today, I watched as my babies, did things that a few short years ago would have had me in a panic. I watched Ryan climb high, really high, on this rope spider web, that only a few months ago, we'd only go to the middle of. When I say really high, I mean my hands over my head and I could barely reach his feet, if I stood on the first rope. Evan was not far behind him.

Today, Evan climbed this "ladder" thing, that arches? The steps are really far apart and as recently as two weeks ago he needed help. Not today. He jumped up and down and screamed a little happy scream as he reached the top unassisted.

Yesterday, Ryan decided he was going to join a soccer game being played by some older kids. He just ran right over and started taking passes, and dribbling the ball. These kids were 3 or 4 years older than him and he just didn't care. He. Was. Going. To. Play. And he did.

Yesterday the boys were playing with their friends Dylan and Tyler. They were playing like BOYS. Not little babies, BOYS. Running around, tackling, dog piling, laughing. BOYS.

Two days ago after watching about 5 minutes of Olympic Luge. Ryan promptly lay down on his "skateboard" and went lugeing around the house. Evan and Snoopy also took runs. His ability to transfer ideas/visuals and incorporate them into his everyday, scares me. (I have not shown him snowboard cross, I'm afraid, very afraid.)

My little "Top Chef's" have turned food preparation in to twenty (thousand) questions. Their love of being in the kitchen is well known, and I try to let them make things as often as I can, but apparently that is not enough. Now, for every meal, the boys want step by step instructions on how it was made. I feel like I am the host on a cooking show. I also expect that very soon they will be able to make their own meals and serve me!

It seems that everyday brings on more maturity. More things that highlight boyhood and push the babyhood into the past. I crushes me. It amazes me. I love this stage. I hate this stage. I love my boys. I miss my babies.


**It's 10 PM and they have not begun inducing. Some worries had them just monitoring. Should start soon.

****Edited: Rose (Rosie) Alma Born - 2.17.10 7:14 PM Weight - 8 lbs 13 oz. Length - 22 inches

1 comment:

Constance the Redhead said...

My kids are 7 and 5 and I still sometimes am shocked at how fast they are growing. I swear my 5-year old couldn't read but a few words a week ago. Yesterday I caught him reading a whole book to his older sister! It never stops, this growing up too fast.