Thursday, February 11, 2010

Music Making

It's museum month here in town. With a special card you pick up for free at Macy's, you can get into a number of museums for half price. Because of this pass, I found out about a little museum called the Museum of Music Making. If you know my boys, you know that this is right up their alley.

We went on Wednesday. It's a small place packed with instruments through out the ages. It had kiosks that played samplings of music from different eras. And, it had a room FULL of instruments. Guitars, banjo, drum sets, an organ, an electric piano, a purple thing called a Hapi, a lap steel, a ukulele, Moog guitar, a strum stick, a cool electric drum like instrument that you slap with your hands, basically every kids dream place. Most had headphones so they can bang away without disturbing the rest of the banging kids.

I forgot my flip and my camera, I did have my cell phone, but I cannot figure out how to get them off so, unless I do, my descriptions will have to do.

Evan is a little John Bonham. He LOVED the electronic drum kits, and has now asked for one for his birthday. LOVED. He sat and banged on either of the two kits for an hour. He did dabble with the "Heavy Red Guitar" but he, my child that has ants in his pants, played drums for an HOUR. Headphones on, drumsticks in hand, banging away, grin firmly planted on his face.

Ryan on the other hand, found the organ and the electronic piano. He sat bopping his head from left to right, up and down, playing keys, and singing. He made up several songs, which I'm sorry I cannot remember, and sat happy as a little singer songwriter can be. He wants an organ for his birthday, but he might have to settle.

I'm really thankful for museum week because it gave us a great opportunity to go to a place we had never heard of before. The boys had an enriching experience, and I, well I had a good laugh.

No comments: