Monday, August 3, 2009

Really? Hot Dogs?

Just before I left on my little kayaking adventure we had an appointment with the Feeding Team at Children's. We met with a Psychologist, Dietitian, GI nurse, Speech Therapist, and Occupational Therapist. The boys and I had a "typical" lunch except it was filled with foods that Evan would eat, and some that he has trouble with. After our lunch we all sat down and talked about what they watched. Much of it was the same stuff we've been hearing for the last 3 years. Many of the suggestions were those that we have tried countless times. Not much new. It was finally decided that we should eliminate most if not all of the baby food. We could offer it on the plate with the actual meal, but no more 12 ounces of baby food following whatever he chewed and swallowed. We should also offer him a liquid to help him wash down what ever food he was eating. The average child swallows every 30-40 seconds, with Evan, it is more like every 5-10 minutes. A reminder to use the water to help him swallow every minute or so in hopes of getting his rate down around normal.

I then left on my trip so implementing this plan would wait until I got back.

We had a couple of rough meals. Evan started spitting out his bites again, and I was getting worried that this new tactic would backfire and find him not swallowing anything again. During a particularly difficult meal I had to resort to some very desperate measures. I told Evan that if he spit out any more food, I would put Ringos in timeout. He of course, spit out his next bite. I of course picked up Ringos and put them in my room. Evan, cried. I then gave him the opportunity to "earn them back". Evan promptly swallowed every bite. I did have to take
Ringo to time out one more time that day, but since then he has not spit out any more food, unless he has had it okayed by one of us. (sometimes the bites are just too big) So all week we've made some progress. 1/3 an egg. 1/2 an egg. 1/2 a slice of pizza. an ounce of shredded chicken. cream of wheat.

But what I really want to talk about is this major breakthrough we had this weekend. The boys were having chicken quesadillas, and Scott made some hot dogs for himself. Evan started screaming that he wanted hot dogs too! Okay, so Scott made him a hot dog.

HE. ATE. THE WHOLE. THING.

The whole freaking hot dog! and one of his pieces of quesadilla!

He has now requested a hot dog at every single meal since, and well, at least he is eating. Would I prefer that it was a nice chicken breast? or some steamed veggies? YES. Am I going to push the issue or let him eat hot dogs and eggs for breakfast? (Yeah, who knew hot dogs are the new bacon.)

I'm just going to be thankful for what I think is the light at the end of the tunnel, but I will be making my way to Trader Joes to pick up some nitrate free hot dogs today.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Way to go Evan! Trader Joes has both nitrate free all beef AND nitrate free all turkey hot dogs ;) Just in case you were wondering...yes, we too like hot dogs!