Thursday, October 16, 2008

Deja Vu all over again

....and in a bad way.

Friends of ours from our NICU days have been on the road to having another baby. They decided on a surrogate in hopes of not having another premature baby.

Yesterday, I got a call from Todd. Their baby girl was born at 26 weeks, 6 days. She weighs less than 1000 grams. (That's around 2 pounds)

This news has floored me. I felt like someone punched me in the gut. At the same time I feel my chest tightening and all the air in my lungs is being squeezed out of me with a force so strong I cannot even begin to describe it.

I can't imagine Todd and Nina, back at the NICU, back for another long, long stay, with another medically fragile baby. My heart is aching for them.

*************************

My heart, its been aching for many people lately. There seems to be a terrible amount of sadness in my circle of friends right now. Death, baby loss, marriages crumbled, children suffering, and now this.

All of this heartache, a painful reminder to appreciate everyday, even the toughest of the tough.

No comments: