Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Together again, at last.

Okay, so I'm still 52 items short on my list of 100 for my 100th post, but...two years ago today, was a very special day.

Two years ago, my boys were reunited after sixty-eight days apart, they were finally co-bedded.

I remember the day so well. It was a special day for me too. My dear girlfriends were throwing me my postponed baby shower. It was a combined effort. I was supposed to have 3 showers, (I know! but there were lots of people REALLY excited about these babies) The first was to be in Sacramento, which I missed while I was in the hospital on bed rest. (sorry Shelley!) I attended it by speaker phone, and I enjoyed hours of video tape a few days later. After the early arrival of the boys, we postponed the other two showers until we were a little more confident that the boys would survive.

I went to the hospital early, because I certainly couldn't enjoy myself if I hadn't seen my boys, cuddled for a while and got pushed out of the NICU by my nurses, rushed home, changed, and enjoyed my day of being showered. The girls went all out. The house was decorated so cute, the food was very yummy, and there was wonderful company. Of course I spent the day talking about the boys, when we thought they might come home, etc. I was really overwhelmed with the love. (Thanks again for a great day, Maya, Suzanne, and Angie)

The party broke up, and Scott returned home. I can't remember exactly what he said, but it was something to the effect of "don't be upset" Alright, you NEVER say that to a Mom with babies in the NICU. My heart dropped. He quickly followed it up with the reason I might be a little upset. Our nurse Peggy had decided that this would be the day that the boys would be placed in the same bed. Can you believe that I missed it???? I still can't.

Peggy was so good about making sure things got done, even when people were a little nervous about it, she'd get right in there and say, what's the worst that could happen, or it can't hurt. I think she was going to be out for a couple of weeks and wanted to make sure they got co-bedded on her watch! It took a few minutes for them to adjust to another squiggly, wiggly thing in their bed, but once they realized that it was their womb mate, they both settled in and really started to thrive. Their events were fewer, they seemed calmer overall, and gosh it was just so darn cute to see them all bundled up together.

The bad news about co-bedding was that now we were only allowed two people bedside at a time instead of the four that we had gotten accustomed to, and on this weekend we had tons of people (all the Grandmas, Maya, you know, tons) in town who wanted to come to the NICU to see the boys. Our NICU had a strict policy that for each bed, you may have two visitors at a time, one of which must be a parent or guardian. When the boys were in separate beds, we had four visitor slots, three could be guests.

That was really the only negative. It was wonderful that the boys were finally well enough to be together, at last. This was the beginning of the long, and (what seemed to be) never ending homestretch. (is it possible for a homestretch to last two months?)

This is it, THE moment they were reunited.

Ryan mauling Evan.


Evan returning the love.

1 comment:

Swistle said...

Ha! I love how they IMMEDIATELY go for the maul!