Friday, June 13, 2008

Evan sees a dentist.

It's been a rough few weeks with Evan. His eating has been even more of a challenge than before. I've been spending an hour shoving food into his mouth, as he screams, fights and cries, and then spits out the entire bite. Rinse, and repeat, about a thousand times per meal.

Out of desperation last week, I cut out all of Evan's bottles. (except his before bedtime bottle) No more Boost Plus, and milk. All in an effort to make him feel hungry, in hopes that he might just eat something, anything. Or at least the battles might stop. Well, a week and two pounds of weight loss later, there was no change. Mealtimes were still battles.

Next straw to grasp at? Maybe it's his teeth! I noticed his gums still covering his molars. I thought maybe it's an infection! I managed to get him into see a pediatric dentist on Tuesday. He was not very happy to be visiting yet another doctor.


Well, $85 later, we now know, his teeth look great. We are doing a good job brushing, and there are no problems with his mouth that are interfering with his eating. And, we left a bit happier than when we arrived.
This week we have been quite busy with appointments. On the same morning Evan went to the dentist, his brother Ryan went to see the Opthamologist. (Evan's appointment was on Thursday) Because of our ROP we see the pediatric Opthamologist every six months. After our last trip, I decided that we had to split them up, the hysterics were way too much for just me to handle.

Splitting the boys up like this is interesting. We've only done it a few times, but each time I am profoundly shocked by how easy it is to only have one child. At the dentist, I was able to console Evan with my full attention. At the eye doctor, we played, drew, read books, just the two of us. I didn't have to divide my attention. I didn't have to keep one eye on Ryan. I didn't have to bring the stroller. I had one hand free as we were walking to and from the car. It's crazy how much easier one child is! I've always said that having one is having one, and having two is like having three, and that feeling just gets larger exponentially with each child, but there is nothing that can better illustrate that fact like having one on one time. Now I want to establish some fun one on one time with each of the boys. I don't want their only singleton time to be at the doctor's office.

From a medical standpoint. Both boys eyes are holding stable. They will still both need glasses in the future, but right now their eyesight is not hindering their development, so we will wait, and continue to be followed every six months. Both boys did so well at the appointments, there were a few tears, but for the most part, the drama was kept to a minimum.

No comments: