Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day

These were taken on Saturday, but Father's Day looked pretty much the same. The boys have found the joy of the back yard sprinklers on a warm summer's day.



I'm not sure who had more fun, the boys or Scott spraying them down with the hose. This being Father's Day I thought I'd mention a few of the things that make Scott such a great Dad. You know I knew he'd be a great Dad, kids love him. We'd go out to eat and without fail there would be some little one, that would be fascinated with Scott. But watching him Father these boys, argh, makes me well up just thinking about it.

In the beginning, when we were caught between life and death. When we watched every breath holding our own, until we edged on blackouts, Scott was there. He read to these boys, he talked to them. He learned how to carefully change their tiny diapers, he learned how to wrap them and turn them over. As they got stronger, he learned how to give them baths, feed them, hold them and even play with them. He learned to stop watching the monitors and look at the color of those precious faces.

Once they came home, he learned a whole lot more about everything. He changed countless diapers, defrosted gallons of breast milk, fed babies in the middle of the night. He nearly killed me responding to one of the babies monitors beeps. (killed a little strong, but I certainly got a good hip check into the wall, got stepped on, and left to pick myself up in the dark)

He got up with Evan in the middle of the night until about two months ago, when he finally started sleeping through the night.

He plays with the boys, and lets them do things Mommy would NEVER let them do. (go down slides head first, ahem) He enjoys every moment with them.

He sings to them. This is significant because well, because I love to sing, I love to drive around singing at the top of my lungs. Scott not so much. He once told me that singing interferes with his ability to enjoy and appreciate the music. To me, singing only adds to this experience. So, Scott has learned a ton of songs just so he can sing to these music loving boys. I should note that our musical repertoire is a bit unconventional. There's not a lot of kids music in the mix. Usually its something by the Grateful Dead, or the Eagles, or Elton John, or Lyle Lovett, or the Beatles. I love that the boys have requests, it makes me laugh to hear them finish the lyrics to Rocky Raccoon.

There are oh so many reasons why Scott is a special Father, most importantly, he is just here for the boys, role modeling, teaching, and loving.

Happy Father's Day!

No comments: