Saturday, August 30, 2008

Last one home is a rotten egg.

Two years ago, we finally brought Evan home from the hospital. One Hundred and Forty Seven days after his extremely early arrival we were overjoyed to finally have him under our roof.

There was still trepidation. He was still on an apnea monitor, and we were given emergency oxygen. Was he really ready? Were we? There were mixed emotions. What about Ryan, poor baby, would he be okay, would he miss his brother?

We were going, no matter. "Aunt" Julie and "Aunt" Tina, walked us down to the car, and away we went.

(you can see me in the background, even as Julie is walking out of the NICU, I'm saying one last goodbye to Ryan, even though I'll be seeing him in the morning, I can barely leave)

Evan in his car seat, riding home, with a smile.

First steps into the house.

Dearly departed Samson, checking out the "thing" Mommy brought home..."hmmm, something tells me I'm not going to like this."

Is there anything better than a cuddle on the couch with Daddy?


It's hard to believe it's been two years. It feels like they've always been here. That my house has always looked like a cyclone hit. That I've always had their smiles first thing in the morning and the last thing at night to warm me and fill me with love.

On this anniversary I thought I'd list a few of Evan's sayings. These days there are many but these are my favorite:

Two funny guys
Pickle puss
Hi goose
Evan RyRy go
More Neigh
Hockey Puck
Good Job Ev-an
No more monkeys jumping on bed (as he's jumping on the sofa, and I am counting to three)


Two years bring on a lot of changes, thank goodness the NICU's and apnea monitors and oxygen are all behind us now. The worries over language development, gross motor and fine motor development are subsiding as each passing day brings (sometimes shocking) mastery of skills.

Two years of love and laughter filling our home because this guy finally decided to come home.

No comments: