Monday, December 17, 2007

Happy New Year, of sorts.

As long as I can remember my Mom's food specialty has been enchiladas. I know we are Japanese, but her enchiladas are famous. Every New Year's Eve we would go to my cousins' house and ring in the New Year. At midnight, after singing Auld Lang Syne, in English and Japanese, we would have a meal of my Mom's enchiladas and Spanish rice. There are many "good luck" foods in Japanese culture, things you eat on New Year's Day, to ensure good health and prosperity for the new year, however nothing says good luck to me like my Mom's enchiladas.

Last year we started a tradition of celebrating my Mom's Birthday and Christmas the same weekend. My Mom won't go with us to Sacramento to celebrate Christmas, although she is wanted and invited there, she keeps telling me that she is a homebody. Anyway, it's fun, we get to have a special weekend where she gets to spend time with the boys. This year Scott requested enchiladas for "Christmas" dinner.

We were all at the table enjoying our dinner, when Ryan became rather insistent, shall I say increasingly more vocal, reaching decibel levels rivaling an 80's hair band concert. Scott and I looked at each other, shrugged, and then Scott handed over a piece of meat from his enchiladas, Ryan promptly picked it up, um-- gobbled it up, and calmly requested more. This went on for some time, and then Ryan realized there was something he was not getting to eat. Spanish Rice! How dare we not offer him some! Scott gave him a fork full, he chewed, smiled and opened his mouth and shouted, ahhhhhh----! I guess he wanted more. In all, Ryan had about 10 pieces of steak, and maybe a half a cup of Spanish rice.

Why is this blog worthy? Well, two reasons--
1) he had already eaten his 4 dino bites and 10 sweet potato fries.
2) he ONLY eats things that are crunchy.

Call it a breakthrough, call it a Christmas miracle, we were all very excited. Until Sunday, when he went on a hunger strike. If only he had the words, or signs, to tell me WHY he is on a hunger strike. I might be able to see about releasing political prisoners, stop global warming, or get the WGA at the table with management. But, no I am left guessing, and trying to no avail, every combination of formerly favorite foods at every meal in hopes that he will consume SOMETHING, ANYTHING!!!!

Ah yes, life with toddlers...

No comments: