Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Rituals

The bedtime ritual around here is one of those things that I know that I am going to miss when the boys get too big to be tucked in.

Evan especially has his "things"

Scott has to sing Hallelujah
I have to say "the words"
"No crying about buttons or buddies, curtains or fans, mirrors or lights, tents or pillows, or NOTHIN'"
and then we hug and kiss.

A few months ago he started adding a death grip on my neck followed by the phrase "I'm never gonna let you go!"

Which always warmed my heart and I would say, "you never have to honey." but every time he said it, I would think of the Sergio Mendes song "I'm Never Gonna Let You Go" So after a few weeks I started singing the chorus to him,

I'm never gonna let you go
I'm gonna hold you in my arms forever
Gonna try and make up for the times
I hurt you so

And then I would get to that last line and find it inappropriate (as is the rest of the song) to sing to my baby, so I changed it up a bit.

Gonna try and make up for the times
I tickled you soooooooooo....

during which I would tickle him and he would be forced to release his death grip on my neck.

he got wise to me and said that I had to say cuddled instead of tickled. I obliged.

Well, in the last few nights Evan has decided that the singing of the 80's classic was his to sing,
and oh. my. goodness. nothing can make me smile like my 4 year old belting out, directly in my ear...

I'm never gonna let you go
I'm gonna hold you in my arms forever
Gonna try and make up for the times
I cuddled you so.

5 comments:

lramagaga said...

Your blog is unbelievable. Miracles still happen and I have seen one of them right here.

May God continue to strenghen, bless and meet all you needs.

Lindsay said...

Swoon!

genderist said...

This is awesome. What a wonderful memory!! I look forward to my little girl growing up to be this age.

Karen R. said...

I just happened upon your blog. Our son was born at 25.5 weeks and weighed only 744 grams. Now he is a very healthy, tall almost-13 year old. I pray that your boys bring you at least as much joy as Bear has brought us.

http://healingsickchildren.blogspot.com/

Lisa Stone said...

I stumbled upon your blog by accident and just couldn't stop reading. What a wonderful miracle your boys are. And oh my, I think I would melt!