Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A scar is just a scar

So, today we had our post-op VCUG and renal ultrasound. We were supposed to have it a month after the surgery, but Children's is so backed up that we had to wait three months for this appointment. (this is relevant, I promise)

Ryan and Evan have been coughing since, well, like September, so did not even think about the ramifications of a cough, and administering laughing gas to my boy. Okay, I did, but I thought that I could clear his lungs enough with a little Albuterol, like I did last time. No problem.

Well, not so much. When the nurse listened to him she could barely hear air moving he was so congested. Yeah, I felt like a total negligent mom when she asked me if we had seen a doctor for this cold. No, we haven't. If I ran to the doctor every time one of these boys had a cough, they'd have to give me a job. I generally treat at home. I have my own stethoscope for goodness sakes, I know what junk in the lungs sound like. I KNOW what blue lips look like. Any---Way....

No Nitrous for Ryan.

My options, reschedule. (and wait another 3 months) or let him go through with the procedure with no sedation. Here's bad mom number two moment. Aw heck, let's just go for it. He'll be fine.

And he was. Totally.

There were tears, and he was scared, but he was wonderfully brave, and he still managed to laugh, joke and make me laugh during it all.

And then we had spicy noodles with chicken for lunch. And sticky rice with mango. And lots of hugs and reading.

Oh, yeah, and his reflux is gone, his surgery worked, and aside from another ultrasound in a year, we are free. Free of meds, free of Urology clinic, free of annual VCUG's (with or without nitrous)

WOOOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!