Tuesday, August 31, 2010

100 plus

A few days ago, I completed my 100th Bikram Yoga class.

When I took my first class in January, I never thought it would be something I would enjoy. I really dislike being hot, and I sweat easily, which can be uncomfortable. Throughout the last nine months I've learned a lot about my tolerance for discomfort, and a few other things.

One of my most difficult postures is savasana, or dead body pose. You lay flat on your back heels together toes fall apart, arms relaxed at your sides with palms up. Your eyes are open, and your mind is calm. You are supposed to stay perfectly still, in both mind and body. If you know me, there is no doubt why this pose is more difficult for me than, say, standing bow pulling pose.

Calming my mind, stilling my body...Ha! But balancing on one leg while the other leg is up over my head, I'm getting better at that! I have seen improvement in all of my practice, and depending on how many classes I make a week, it is considerable.

Working on my mind, is and I think will always be the most difficult part of my practice. It's hard to check everything at the door. The kids, the house, the to do list. And then there are the distractions in the room. The people who fidget, who talk, who do not follow proper etiquette before, during and after class, I fight my judgements. (which are also to be checked at the door!) I fight the disappointment when the teacher is not one of my "favorites". All these things are in my mind, and hindering my mind body connection. I know I cannot improve my practice without quieting my thoughts.

Bikram also stresses patience. (which is another area that I need lots of work in) While patience in class is great, patience in my life is even better. Bikram makes me a better parent. The more classes I take, the more patience I am able to bring to my everyday. The noise, oh the constant noise, around me doesn't seem to penetrate when I am actively practicing. It is almost like I have a little force field of calm, where from inside I can laugh at the din, instead of feeling it touch every raw nerve.

I love that not only am I working on my strength, and my flexibility, but I am also working on my character while practicing Bikram yoga. Bikram says it is a full body work out every time you take a class. For me it really is a full body workout, head to toes, bones to skin, inside out.

I just hope that sometime in the next 100 classes I find a way to calm my mind, if even for 20 seconds at a time.

No comments: