Saturday, July 10, 2010

The future's not ours to see

I often contemplate the future of my boys. I wonder what they will become. I look at the things they are passionate about now, and I can't help wondering if that will carry on through their lives and dictate what careers they will choose, or even what they will be doing in ten years.

Ryan and his love of knowledge. Reading, investigating, studying. His natural athleticism. His GPS like ability to know where we are on where we are going. His desire to please, to be loved, to help. His creativity, telling stories, and making up songs, building. I wonder where these passions will lead him.

Evan, oh Evan. His love of singing, the National Anthem, Canadian, or American. His Rain Man like ability to remember the team names and cities of sports teams, most notably hockey teams. His love for Drew Doughty, Jack Johnson, and Patrick Kane. His constant dialog, or as I call it play-by-play. His never ending questions. His boundless energy. What will you become my little ham?

And how will the things I choose to expose them to effect their futures? What if I'm too late and I've forever stunted their one true passion? What if it takes them to their late twenties, or early thirties to find *their* kayaking? What if they never find the thing that fulfills them?

Yes, this is the stuff keeping me up at night. I should take up mediating and my mantra should really be..."Que Sera Sera"

No comments: