Saturday, January 24, 2009

Developmental Follow-Up part deux

Evan was supposed to have his follow up the week after Ryan, but he was sick. Sick boys do not test well. Evan does not test well. Actually I should say, in the past Evan has not tested well. He would get uptight, and nervous, feeling like he was going to be subjected to some awful medical procedure.

I've been working on Evan's "white coat disease". We talk about where we are going, what is going to happen, why its not a big deal, etc. So far so good. He's getting better, it also helps that we are not getting shots every month during the winter anymore!

We arrived at our appointment, and I mentioned that we are also going to be tested by the school district to see if we can qualify for any services, mainly we are looking to get into the program to continue OT services for Evan. Based on the 5 minutes our Nurse spent with Evan in the lobby, as he told her all about his morning, what his brother was doing, and that his daddy was not a work, Martha laughed at me. I then mentioned that Evan doesn't test well. He gets nervous and anxious in doctors offices, so therefore he doesn't really respond.

Within moments of beginning our standardized test, Evan did everything he was asked. Some of the areas I thought he would do worse than Ryan (puzzles) he was better. He also did complex imaginative play, something that Ryan would not. Martha kept laughing at me.

During some of the testing Evan, began signing some letters while singing the "Name Song", Martha laughed even harder.

It's a good thing Evan is starting to eat, because after he turns 3, he is going to be OT-ing us out of house and home. Even with insurance we are looking at $60 a week. (If anyone knows an OT in our area that might like a little freelance work on the side, send them my way.)

It is so wonderful, in so many ways, that both these boys are nearly caught up to their gestational age. There are still some delays in fine and gross motor, but these are some of the last areas where preemies catch up. And really I'd rather have them caught up cognitively than physically, it might give me an slight edge when trying to chase them both down. Even with my brain dulled by lack of sleep and constant mothering, I at least think I can out think two, two and a half year old boys, for maybe another few months.

No comments: