Thursday, October 18, 2012

BlogHer Book Club: Diary of a Submissive: A Modern True Tale of Sexual Awakening

Diary of a Submissive: A Modern True Tale of Sexual Awakening, by Sophie Morgan was in a word, awful.  

This book, has been compared to other books of note recently that deal with the subject of Dominant/submissive relationships, and it has been touted as a more well written book. While yes, the sentence structure and word choices are more polished, it is still not what I would consider interesting reading.

The subject matter is handled bluntly and openly, and that is not what turns me off about the book, but that it is just boring. Had I not been paid to read this book, I would have stopped after the first few chapters.  

The book felt self indulgent.  You know when you are talking to someone, and it feels like they are talking just because they love to hear the sound of their own voice? Well if you could translate that into reading, that is exactly how I felt reading this book.  I found myself shouting “Shut UP”  in my head.

The book claims to give you insight to a submissive, but all I got was a few sex scenes and the banality of one girl’s life.  I would much rather we call a spade a spade, call the book erotic fiction, rather than a memoir, and the expectation of any literary talent would be at a minimum. (Millions of women did not read that other series for its dynamic prose) The expectation, or maybe it is just my expectation with a memoir, is that the author has at the very least something interesting to say. Sadly nothing could be farther from the truth with Diary of a Submissive: A Modern True Tale of Sexual Awakening.

_________
This is a paid review for the BlogHer Book Club, however the opinions expressed are mine alone.

1 comment:

X-ina said...

THANK YOU! I also read this for Blogher, and was surprised at how self indulgent I found the author to be. But what I found most interesting was even though she claimed to be submissive, she didn't seem to enjoy her punishment. I get that MIGHT be a part of the D/s lifestyle, but she didnt' seem to care for any of it. Glad to know I'm not the only one that thought this book was a tad ridiculous.