Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Those ten days

And so begins the countdown. Six years ago I was admitted to the hospital with Pre term labor. Six years ago today my life was changed forever.

Pregnancy celebrated by most, has me counting the weeks to viability. I seem to hold my breath for every friend or relative as they pass through their pregnancies blissfully ignorant as I was of all of the possibilities. All the things that can go wrong. I could not or would not ever vocalize my concern, but in my head I count, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40. Somewhere around 35 I start breathing again even though I know what a 26 weeker can do, and can't do.
I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Six years ago this journey of NICU parent would begin, even though six years ago I was still sure I would make it to my baby shower in three days!

Ah, how I wish to be that naive again!!

No comments: