Friday, November 30, 2007

Rainy Days and Mondays

It rained all day today. It wasn't the usual Southern California rain. Light sprinkles followed by sunshine and 70 degree weather. It rained ALL DAY today.

We had a play date planned with another set of twins. We met the parents at our birthing class and then again saw them in the NICU. Their little girl was in for a couple of weeks, it was a pretty uneventful stay but nonetheless it was a NICU stay and that is never fun. Oddly enough one day Elizabeth was walking her two babies and Scott was outside working on the yard and they ran into each other. It turns out that Elizabeth and Tamar live just up the street from us! We've been trying to get together for some time now, and we'd finally made plans. I was very excited. I'd set out some snacks, cleaned out the coffee pot, etc. Elizabeth and the kids were to come over around 9 and they'd leave around 11, in time to get home for their naps and our lunch. About 8:45 I got a call from Elizabeth, she and Coby had a cold...No play date.

Now normally this wouldn't be a big deal. I'd take the kids to the park, or to Borders Babies Story time...but remember it was RAINING!!!! We live in San Diego! We don't have RAIN gear! It was raining so hard that by the time I got the second baby out of the car, the first baby would be drenched, not to mention me! I kept waiting for a break in the storm, alas there was none.

So we were stuck inside ALL DAY!

One of the fun things about being stuck inside with two 19 month olds is that you get to stretch all of your parenting muscles. We played with playdough, rode around indoors in the wagon, played in our playhouse, and played all of our kids music. One of our CD's is called 20 songs every kid should know. One of those songs is "If You're Happy and You Know It". The boys clapped their hands, stomped their feet and blinked their eyes as prompted by the guy singing! I was so shocked that they could do all of these things without my help that I forgot to get the video camera!!! I know we have to get this on tape, but when Scott came home, he had the boys perform their new trick, and in addition, we played "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" I've learned most of the signs for this song from going to Borders Babies Story Time and so I use the signs with the boys as much as I can. Today it looks like it's paying off! During the line, "like a diamond in the sky" you touch your pointer finger to your ring finger, and tonight, RYAN did it!!!

I'm a little shocked because it's been Evan that has been signing up a storm, so the fact that Ryan is picking up different, not often used signs, makes me really happy that I've continued to give the boys this ability to use language.

It wasn't so bad being stuck inside all day, it could have been much, much worse. The babies had great naps and great dinners, and are now snuggly in thier beds. Let's hope they stay that way!

No comments: