Tuesday, August 24, 2010

and Exhale....

All went well on Friday. Ryan was in and out of surgery in less than two hours. They found all that they expected, scar tissue consistent with grade IV reflux. They re-implanted the ureter and did not expect anything but total success.

My boy was such a trooper. Here he is in the waiting room.





I missed the best shot of the day because I couldn't get my camera out fast enough. When it was time, the nurse took him by his hand and walked him down the hallway. Ryan looked back, smiled, and was off. I will never forget that image, I just wish I had it to share.

Here he is being rolled from recovery to his room. He was so sweet, just after I took this he reached out to hold my hand. Not easy to walk along side a bed moving quickly down narrow hallways!


In his bed, being silly. He was such a brave boy. Only shed a few tears, once when he moved from the gurney to his bed, he said it was because he couldn't see me anymore, or my theory is he hurt himself a little bit during the move.


He was in a considerable amount of pain the first few times he tried to get up, and when he tried the first time to pee, but otherwise, he was content to have us read. So, from about 3PM on Friday until he was released at 11 AM we read, and read, and read.

By Sunday it was difficult to keep Ryan from popping out all of his stitches, and today, I feel like it's going to be a long, long three weeks.


No comments: